Several people attempting to enter Western Province turned back

Several people attempting to enter the Western Province were turned back yesterday, the Police said.

Police Spokesman, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Ajith Rohana said that road blocks have been established at 14 entry/exit points to the Western Province.

He said that 3153 people and 1024 vehicles were inspected when crossing the border yesterday (Friday).

The Police Spokesman said that 91 people who arrived in 60 vehicles were turned back for attempting to cross the border for no valid reason.

DIG Ajith Rohana said that crossing borders remains prohibited during the travel ban in force till 21st June.

Army Commander General Shavendra Silva announced yesterday that the travel ban will be extended till 4am on 21st June.

He said that a number of institutions and essential services will be permitted to operate during the travel ban.

Health experts had earlier requested President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to extend the travel ban till 21st June.

The request was made on the basis that extending it by another week will help contain the spread of the virus. (Colombo Gazette)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here