Karannagoda questioned by CID on abductions

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had recorded fresh statements from former Navy Commander Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda last week over the abduction and disappearance of 11 youths in 2008-2009, The Sunday Morning newspaper reported today.

Police sources had told The Sunday Morning that statements were recorded from Karannagoda on Thursday (26 September) and Friday (27).

The CID had recorded statements from Karannagoda on 11, 13, 19 March and 2 and 4 April this year as well.

Sources said that the CID hoped to conclude investigations into the case within the next two weeks.

Investigators will now look to crosscheck some of the information obtained from witnesses and the former Navy Commander.

Karannagoda was questioned last week based on a court order obtained by the CID under section 124 of the Code of Criminal Procedure Act.

In a “B report” filed before court, the CID had alleged that Karannagoda intentionally attempted to evade ongoing investigations by refusing to record a statement on 20 and 21 September and seeking two weeks time on the basis that he needed to assist a member of his family who was in poor health.

The CID however told court that Karannagoda had participated in an event held at the Navy Headquarters on 19 September.

Therefore, as per the instructions given by the Attorney General to summon the former Navy Commander within three days from 24 September and to refer the extracts to the Department, the CID had sought a court order to record a fresh statement from Karannagoda while the court issued the order.

When contacted by The Sunday Morning, Karannagoda had refused to comment.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here