A top investigator told the Parliament Select Committee (PSC) on the Easter Sunday attacks today that he was not satisfied with the action taken on the prior warnings received before the April 21 bombings.
Senior DIG of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Ravi Seneviratne told the PSC that he had received intelligence information prior to the April 21 attacks and the information had been passed on to the relevant officers.
Seneviratne said that he had received intelligence information from the state intelligence service on April 20 and that information was passed on to the Inspector General of Police.
He was asked by the PSC if he was satisfied with the steps taken after the prior warnings were received and he said no.
Seneviratne also said that National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ) leader Mohamed Zaharan was being investigated over some other incidents prior to the Easter Sunday attacks.
The Senior DIG also said that based on video footage seen by the investigators they feel the Taj Hotel in Colombo was also a target of the bombers.
He said that the bomber seems to have attempted to trigger the bomb at the Taj Hotel on at least two occasions but the bomb did not go off.
There had been reports that the bomber may have not triggered the bomb as some VIPs were at the Taj Hotel.
However Seneviratne said that they had no such information.
He also said that there is no clear evidence to link ISIS with the bombings though they had claimed responsibility. (Colombo Gazette)