Man whose UK wife died banned from leaving Sri Lanka

A newlywed whose British wife died on their honeymoon has been banned from leaving Sri Lanka by the Police, The Sun reported.

Khilan Chandaria, 33, and bride Usheila Patel, 31, fell ill after food and drinks.

They were rushed to hospital but Usheila was pronounced dead.

Devastated Khilan has not been arrested or charged but cannot leave until more tests are carried out.

He said: “The authorities are not treating me as a culprit but aren’t treating me like a victim either. I don’t want to leave without her.

“I still talk to Usheila at night when I look at the stars. She was supposed to be with me for the rest of our lives.”

Usheila’s parents said: “Two healthy newlyweds left for their honeymoon and days later our beautiful daughter has left us.

“From cloud nine to a living hell. Just want to see our beloved daughter one last time.”

The couple married in Brent, North London, on April 14.

They spent £6,600 on a two-week trip to Sri Lanka and the Maldives from April 23.

At £100-a-night Amari hotel in the coastal city of Galle they each drank a Sprite with vodka bought at Heathrow.

Next day they noticed a smell in their room. After a cleaner left they shared a sandwich and chips.

At 6pm they had another vodka and Sprite. But before dinner Khilan fainted. By the time he came round, Usheila felt sick too.

After learning they would need to get a taxi to hospital they tried to see off the illness in their room. But within hours both deteriorated.

Khilan added: “We were feverish and vomiting blood. We phoned for help. It must’ve been after 3am. Three staff came with a wheelchair.”

The pair were rushed to the Co-operative Hospital. Massage therapist Usheila was then switched to the city’s Karapitiya hospital.

Phone shop boss Khilan said: “A post-mortem said she died from dehydration, obviously from vomiting.”

Previous reviews of the Amari talk of food poisoning. But Russell Cool, from the hotel, said it was recognised for its food safety last month.

He confirmed the pair ate inside, adding that other items they “obtained from outside and consumed” have been handed to investigators.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are supporting the family of a British woman who has died in Sri Lanka . . . and are in contact with the Sri Lankan authorities.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here