While the Catholic Church has cancelled its Sunday services for a second week following the Easter Sunday bombings, the Anglican Church has decided to continue its Sunday service, under tight security.
Last Sunday the Anglican Church conducted services in most churches in Colombo but allowed the parish priest of each church to decide if it was safe to conduct the service or not.
While some Anglican churches cancelled the service and gathered at selected homes of parishioners for a private mass, others had their usual Sunday service.
Services were conducted under tight security.
In a statement earlier this week, the Bishop of Colombo, Dhiloraj Canagasabey said he was glad that many Anglican churches had their normal Eucharist services with police and army protection wherever that was possible.
“We need to be aware of security needs, yet fearless in worshiping the living God as we are accustomed to,” he said.
He also called on all fellow citizens and Christians in particular to embrace the Muslim community who have lived in this country for many hundreds of years in peaceful co-existence. (Colombo Gazette)