The Government has now admitted that prior warning was issued over possible attacks targeting churches and diplomatic missions but the warning was ignored.
Minister of Telecommunications, Foreign Employment and Sports Harin Fernando made public a warning letter received by the authorities, which circulated on social media earlier.
The Government had earlier said that the latter was fake.
However now Fernando made the letter public on his twitter account saying some intelligence officers were aware of the incidence.
“Serious action need to be taken as to why this warning was ignored,” he said.
Meanwhile, Minister Mano Ganesan said that his Ministerial Security Division (MSD) officers had also been warned by their Division a week earlier, about two suspected suicide bombers in Colombo targeting politicians.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has also said that an investigation must be launched as to why intelligence reports of the attack was not taken seriously. (Colombo Gazette)
Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. What my father heard was also from an intelligence officer. Serious action need to be taken as to why this warning was ignored. I was in Badulla last night pic.twitter.com/ssJyItJF1x
— Harin Fernando (@fernandoharin) April 21, 2019