Plastic is everyone’s problem and needs urgent attention and practical solutions. From poisoning and injuring marine life to disrupting human hormones, from littering beaches and landscapes to clogging streams and landfills, the exponential growth of plastics is now threatening the survival of our planet and all life across the globe.
In response to this current situation, Earth Day 2018 is focusing fundamentally on changing human attitudes and behaviors towards plastics and catalyzing a significant reduction in plastic pollution.
The strategy to End Plastic Pollution will:
• Lead and support the adoption of a global framework to regulate plastic pollution
• Educate and mobilize citizens across the globe to demand action from governments and corporations to control and diminish plastic pollution
• Inform and activate citizens to take personal responsibility for the plastic pollution that each one of us generates by choosing to reject, reduce, reuse and recycle plastics
• Work with universities, school teachers and students to End Plastic Pollution
• Work with other organizations and networks and make Earth Day 2018 a platform to End Plastic Pollution by developing resources that others can use and build partnerships.
• Promote the work that cities and local governments are doing to tackle plastic pollution
• Empower journalists across the globe to report on the problem and its emerging solutions.
We wish to work with key constituencies and influencers to build a world of educated consumers of all ages who understand the environmental, climate and health consequences of using plastics and how they must be recycled and reused in a viable manner.
Much like 1970, Earth Day 2018 now comes at a time of great challenge for the environmental community. Climate change deniers, well-funded oil lobbyists, reticent politicians, a disinterested public, and a divided environmental community all contribute to the narrative—cynicism versus activism. Despite these challenges, Earth Day prevails and is now recognised as a relevant, powerful focal point. Now we call on YOU to join the fight to protect and help sustain our Mother Earth. Be part of the solution and call on world leaders with a loud and clear message that populations around the world demand quick and decisive actions on global warming and clean energy, strong policies and responsible practices.
Please join us on 22nd of April from 8.30 am till 12.30 pm and celebrate International Earth Day 2018 at Panadura Beach.
Refreshments: Snacks and cold beverages during the clean up / Picnic lunch at the end of the clean up around 12.30pm
Event host: Khiri Travel
Sponsored by: CLEANTECH (Pvt) Ltd