Hasaranga hat-trick steers Lanka to ODI win

Wanidu Hasaranga, the 19-year-old leg-spinner, took a hat-trick on his international debut as Sri Lanka routed Zimbabwe by seven wickets in the second One-Day International in Galle on Sunday (July 2) to level the five-match series 1-1.

Sri Lanka bowled out Zimbabwe for 155 inside 34 overs with Hasaranga one of the heroes alongside Lakshan Sandakan, his fellow wrist spinner who picked up four wickets. The home side then powered to 158 for 3 in 30.1 overs, Upul Tharanga remaining unbeaten on 75.

Hasaranga was one of three changes made after Sri Lanka lost the first ODI by six wickets on Friday. He bowled only 16 balls but tore through Zimbabwe’s tail.

Hasaranga’s hat-trick came in what became the final over of the innings as he bagged the last three wickets. Malcolm Waller hit him for four but was bowled next ball going for another big hit. The teenager then snapped up Donald Tiripano and Tendai Chatara with googlies to wrap up Zimbabwe’s innings.

After being put in to bat, Zimbabwe lost Solomon Mire, the centurion in the previous game, in the fourth over. Hamilton Masakadza and Craig Ervine rebuilt with a 56-run stand for the second wicket but once the former fell to Asela Gunaratne, things went downhill for the visitor. Sandakan, who last played an ODI in March and missed the first game with a viral infection, ran through the middle-order and bagged his first four-wicket haul in ODIs as the batsmen struggled to get going.

Waller counter-attacked with a 29-ball 38 to take Zimbabwe past 150 before Hasaranga weaved his magic. He became only the third player in ODI history to take a hat-trick on debut, after Bangladesh’s Taijul Islam and South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada.

Sri Lanka started the modest chase with a wobble as it lost Danushka Gunathilaka and Kusal Mendis off successive Chatara deliveries in the third over. Gunathilaka was bowled off the under-edge while Mendis fell for a first-ball duck, edging to the wicketkeeper and leaving Sri Lanka on 10 for 2.

Niroshan Dickwella and Tharanga, though, kept the home side going with a 67-run stand for the third wicket, which effectively ruled out a Zimbabwe resurgence. Dickwella fell caught and bowled to Graeme Cremer in the 19th over but Tharanga and Angelo Mathews, Sri Lanka’s captain, added an unbeaten 81 for the fourth wicket to make short work of the chase.

The third of the five ODIs is on July 6 in Hambantota. The two sides will then play a solitary Test to round off the tour.