Pat Cummins, the injury-prone Australian paceman, is set to meet with Cricket Australia (CA) in the aftermath of the Twenty20 International series with Sri Lanka to discuss his participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The 23-year-old was recently snapped up by the Delhi Daredevils for (AUD) $874,540 in the IPL’s auction after impressing in the shorter formats during the Australian summer. Cummins has had a litany of injuries since starring on Test debut against South Africa in November of 2011. He has not been sighted in Test cricket since and last played a Sheffield Shield match almost six years ago.
Cummins missed out on the tour of India as Australian cricket chiefs wanted to keep their pace ace in cotton wool to ensure he’s fit and firing for the Ashes, which starts in November. CA has previously ordered injured pair Brett Lee and Shaun Marsh to avoid the IPL and will have a sit down with Cummins to discuss his current fitness status.
Neil Maxwell, Cummins’s manager, said his client was fit and healthy to take part in the IPL. “We haven’t heard anything from Cricket Australia,” he told The Age on Tuesday (February 21). “Obviously, (I) am keen to work with them but, at the same time, we, obviously, would want to understand what the plans are. Cricket Australia have constantly pushed that players are choosing to play in their own leave time, so I assume that would be Pat’s choice at the end of the day.
“It comes down to a number of factors – health and well-being, fitness levels and there is a commercial element there as well. “But if it is going to be raised, it would have been nice to have been raised before he was given an auction price….because it would hurt a lot more to be pulling out.”
Maxwell revealed that Cummins was likely to play his first Shield match since March of 2011 in the near future. “Cricket Australia have played him in every game for the One-Dayers apart from the Test matches and they are gearing him up for a shield game,” he said. (Courtesy Cricbuzz)