Comprehensive probe sought on group behind Hambantota clash

A comprehensive investigation has been sought on the group involved in the Hambantota clash.

The opposition claimed that thugs linked to the Government were involved in the clash.

Opposition Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa said that a group had been taken from Colombo to Hambantota to attack the opposition supporters during the opening of the Chinese funded investment zone.

Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake however insisted that no one was taken from Colombo and that those involved in the clash were from Hambantota.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that a police report has been sought on the incident.

Nearly 50 people were arrested over the clash and were produced in court and remanded. A protest was staged in Hambantota on Saturday despite a court order against it.

The police used tear-gas and water cannons to disperse the protesters after they pelted stones at the police and the venue of the event held to launch the new investment zone. (Colombo Gazette)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here