Three victims were pulled from the sea off the East Sussex beach on Tuesday afternoon and emergency services tried and failed to revive them in front of thousands of horrified holidaymakers.
Two more bodies – also believed to be wearing shorts and T-shirts – were found washed up by a walker as the tide went out that night.
One source said they are understood to have worked in the same restaurant and friend Thujee Jay tweeted today: ‘Why did God take 5 lives at once. RIP Nitharsan, Kuru, Kobi, Kenny and Indhusan. Can’t believe you are all gone.’
The friends may have been pulled to their deaths by the powerful riptide but Sussex Police is yet to say why they think the men got in trouble, leading to concerns from beachgoers about their own safety.
Last month 19-year-old Brazilian Gustavo Silva Da Cruz died while swimming off the famous beach. In July a father and son suffered serious injuries after they were attacked by a swarm of jellyfish.
Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly said the men were all ‘wearing clothes appropriate for being at the beach’ when they died and ‘came together for the day’.
She said: ‘We believe they are all in their late teens and early 20s and come from the Greater London area. We have no further reports of anyone else missing from Camber and there are no on-going searches related to this incident. (Colombo Gazette)