India begins probe as girl joins IS after claiming she went to Sri Lanka


India is investigating claims that a girl claimed she was going to Sri Lanka but had later joined the Islamic State (IS),

Bindu, mother of a young pregnant woman, who converted to Islam after marriage and is among a group of 17 people from Kerala suspected to have joined Islamic State (IS), on Sunday met Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and sought investigation into the matter, the Press Trust of India reported.

“Chief Minister told me that probe in the matter is progressing,” Bindu, who submitted a petition stating that her daughter was missing and sought a probe, said in Thiruvananthapuram.

Bindu, who hails from the city, said her 25-year-old daughter Nimisha came along with her husband to her house on May 16 last and on May 18, she received a call from her daughter that she was going to Sri Lanka on some business.

“She did not reveal from where she was calling even though I asked her repeatedly,” Bindu said.

“I tried to prevent her from proceeding, but it failed,” she said.

“I also used to get messages from her till June 4, but after that there was no information about her,” she said.

Bindu said her daughter Nimisha was a final year dental student in Kasaragod when she met and got married to a Christian youth, who later converted to Islam along with her.

Bindu also said that the family did not know more details such as when she met her husband 32-year-old Bexin, an MBA graduate, who also later converted to Islam.

They got married in November 2015, Bindu said.

Meanwhile, five more families in Kasargod, from where most of the missing persons hail, filed petitions before the Chandra police and sought a probe.

Meanwhile, senior Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly, Ramesh Chennithala asked the state government to bring before the people the factual position about the reports on missing persons.

“It cannot be said that all missing persons have joined the IS,” Chennithala said adding, “what I came to know is that the state and Central agencies have started an investigation in the matter.” (Colombo Gazette)