Officer in charge of the operations, Major General Sudantha Ranasinghe said that no deaths or injuries had been reported in the latest landslide as the military had evacuated all residents from the area days ago.
“Only some make shift houses have been buried in the landslide. Other than that there have been no injuries or deaths as we had evacuated all the residents from the area,” the Major General said.
He added that the army was monitoring the area as more landslides were possible from the continuous rains.
The military have so far recovered 14 bodies in Aranayake when a massive landslide struck on Tuesday evening, burying three villages. Mutilated body parts from 12 bodies were also recovered and the army said they were searching for a further 141 bodies buried under mud and rock. (Colombo Gazette)