Jayawardena sustained the injury sprinting for a quick single in the Strikers’ run chase against the Brisbane Heat on January 8 at the Gabba.
The 38-year-old carried on batting after receiving treatment from team physiotherapist John Porter, posting 53 from 36 balls, as the Strikers completed an eight-wicket win to secure their place in the BBL|05 finals.
“Clinically the signs are actually quite promising. He was able to commence some light rehab today and he’s keen to start batting as soon as possible,” said Porter. “We’re certainly building our timeframe for a return to play towards that semi-final and anything sooner than that is probably going to be a bonus.”
Jayawardena’s injury comes off the back of two half-centuries for the Strikers since moving up the order to open the innings alongside wicketkeeper-batsman Tim Ludeman.
Middle-order batsman Alex Ross says the loss of one of Adelaide’s key batsmen is considerable, but is confident the Strikers have the cattle to replace the Sri Lanka legend.
“Yeah he’s a massive loss. Not only for the Strikers but the Strikers crowd as well,” Ross said. “Everyone is going to be upset he’s gone because he’s such a class player as we’ve seen so far. “So he’s going to be a huge loss but I’m sure someone will step up and take the role that he’s been doing.” (Courtesy cricket.com.au)