Government insists development not suspended

The Government today insisted that development work of the country had not been suspended or stalled as a result of a new Government taking office for 100 days in January this year.

Minister of Highways Kabir Hashim said that the Government, despite being a temporary Government, had continued with some projects launched by the former Government and cancelled “white elephant” projects.

Speaking at the UNP Special convention in Borella today, Hashim said that if the UNP forms a majority Government after the August 17 election, it will expand some of the development projects.

He noted that several highway projects, including the Colombo – Kandy highway project and the Matara to Hambantota extension of the Southern Highway project had been launched by the current Government.

The United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) had earlier accused the Government of placing roadblocks before some of the development projects.

The Government was mainly accused of suspending some of the Chinese funded projects, including the Port City project. (Colombo Gazette)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here