Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa today broke his silence with regards to the August 17 Parliament elections and formally announced that he will be contesting the polls.
Speaking in front of a large crowd at his home town in Madamulana, the former President said that he is not in a position to reject the request of his supporters for him to contest.
“We cannot reject the request you have put before us. We will contest and look to form the next Government,” Rajapaksa said.
Rajapaksa however did not say under which political party he will look to contest and if he is still seeking the post of Prime Minister.
President Maithripala Sirisena, who is the chairman of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) had said earlier that Rajapaksa will not be made the Prime Ministerial candidate of the SLFP.
Rajapaksa said that he will look to rectify any mistakes made in the past when looking to form the next Government.
He also invited all political parties, including the United National Party, to join hands with him at the upcoming election.
Rajapaksa also accused the UNP led Government after taking decisions which pose a threat to National Security.
He recalled that despite even a US report stating that the LTTE international network was still active, the UNP Government had decided to remove army camps and withdraw troops from the North.
He also accused the UNP of taking revenge on their opponents after taking office in the Government this year.
“I left my party and came home and yet so many allegations were made against me. I took nothing but only the hearts of the people,” he said.
The former President also noted that the new Government had suspended and later resumed several projects initiated by his Government, under a new name.
Rajapaksa also said that when he was in power, the then Government never took any decisions which violated the constitution.
Several members of the United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) were on stage with him when he made the announcement in Madamulana. (Colombo Gazette)