Two people were killed and one person was hospitalized after inhaling, what was believed to be, toxic gas in a gully in Attidiya, Dehiwala last night.
According to the police, the men had removed a pipeline and attempted to clean the gully near a hotel in Dehiwala.
Initially one man who went down the gully to clean it lost consciousness and he was followed by another man who also fell unconscious.
A third person then went down to rescue the other two and felt faintish but was lifted up immediately.
The police said that eventually all three people were admitted to hospital but two of them were found dead.
The Mount Lavinia police are conducting investigations. (Colombo Gazette)