A child in the Mundalama area has died after a fire-cracker exploded in the child’s mouth, the police media unit said today.
The police said that the accident had occurred on Christmas day when the child was at home.
The 3 1/2 year old child had seen the cracker known as ‘china pattas’ on the floor near the entrance and thinking it was food had attempted to eat it.
The cracker had exploded in the child’s mouth causing severe injuries, the police media unit said.
The child, who was admitted to the Colombo national hospital for treatment, succumbed to the injuries yesterday.
The police have launched investigations into the accident.