Australia wins first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart by 137 runs

It has taken four Tests, five and a half weeks and countless heartache, but Australia has finally broken through for its first win of the summer.

On the back of another inspired performance from the indefatigable Peter Siddle, the home side bowled out Sri Lanka at Bellerive for 255, securing a 137-run victory.

Siddle (4-45 from 25 overs) snared the first four wickets of the day to go with his first innings 5-54, claiming career-best match figures to bowl his country to a well-deserved triumph.

Mitchell Starc (5-63) then produced his quickest spell since returning to the Test fold, taking 4-17 in 38 balls to clean up the tail with pace and late movement in the air.

At tea, the tourists were 4-186 and threatening to stonewall the home nation for the second time in three Tests after South Africa survived 148 overs in Adelaide for a draw when Australia could manage just four of the six wickets on the final day.

However, when Siddle removed Angelo Mathews (19) and Thilan Samaraweera (49) in quick succession after the break, the dam wall finally burst on a pitch which produced increasingly variable bounce as the day progressed.
Mathews wafted at a ball outside off which he could have left alone and edged to keeper Matthew Wade, while Samaraweera was trapped lbw on a ball which darted back off the seam and would have crashed into leg stump.

Any chance the visitors had of surviving the last 20 overs then disappeared when Starc extracted a bit of extra bounce coming around the wicket to Prasanna Jayawardene, who could only glove a brute of a delivery to Michael Hussey at second slip.

Nuwan Kulasekara followed soon after when he was caught behind off Starc, Rangana Herath was finally beaten by one of a half dozen toe-crushing yorkers and Shaminda Eranga gave Starc his five-wicket haul when he tried to avoid a short ball but only gloved a catch to Wade.

It was a long, hard toil for the Australian attack given Tasmanian Ben Hilfenhaus was unavailable due to a side strain, while skipper Michael Clarke was fielding despite suffering a hamstring strain while batting yesterday.

Injury-plagued Shane Watson sent down 27 overs, while prior to tea Clarke was so desperate to jag a breakthrough he threw the ball to Wade, who in turn gave the gloves to Phil Hughes.

Wade had not previously bowled an over in his first-class career and has sent down just 16.4 at grade level in Tasmania and Victoria.

Earlier, Kumar Sangakkara (63 from 226 deliveries) absorbed everything the Australians could throw at him until he was removed after lunch by Siddle.

Spinner Nathan Lyon was the only disappointment on the final day, sending down 22 overs without success and often bowling too quick through the air. (