Sri Lanka is to ban a controversial anti-Islam video from being aired in the country, the Ministry of Buddhashasana and Religious affairs said today.
Deputy Minister M.K.D.S Gunawardena told the Colombo Gazette that a newspaper advertisement will be published this week in the local media saying the video should not be aired in the country.
He also said that the Ministry of Buddhashasana and Religious affairs has sought the intervention of the External Affairs Ministry to urge foreign governments to ban the video.
“We will be publishing an advertisement against this video and we will request local media not to show this video. It is a kind of ban on the video in Sri Lanka,” the Deputy Minister said.
Hundreds of Muslims took to streets in Colombo on Friday following afternoon prayers and protested against the movie produced by a group in the United States.
The video “Innocence of Muslims” had already triggered protests in several countries including Sri Lanka last week even after the U.S. government denounced the video.
Meanwhile a Pakistani cabinet minister offered a $100,000 reward on Saturday for the death of the person behind the anti-Islam video made in the United States that has roiled Muslims around the world, even suggesting that Taliban and Al Qaeda militants could carry out the killing.
Ghulam Ahmad Bilour, the federal railways minister, said at a news conference in the northwestern city of Peshawar that he would personally finance a bounty aimed at the maker of a crude, low-budget video that denigrates the Prophet Muhammad.
Mr. Bilour acknowledged that incitement to murder was illegal, but said he was “ready to be hanged in the name of the Prophet Muhammad.” And he invited the Taliban and Al Qaeda to be “partners in this noble deed,” according to news reports.
Report by Easwaran Rutnam