Hundreds of home dust mites were found in the ear of a patient at the Kalutara, Nagoda hospital, the Health Ministry said today.
The Health Ministry said that this was the first time so many home dust mites were found in a human being.
According to the Health Ministry the man had sought treatment at the hospital after falling sick and when his ear was checked doctors had found a form of dust inside.
The dust was sent to the Medical Research Institute (MRI) for further tests and microscopic home dust mites were found in their hundreds in the dust.
The Health Ministry said that this was the first time home dust mites were found in a human and believed he may have been living in a very unhealthy environment.
Further tests are being carried out on the patient but the Health Ministry says it is very rare for the home dust mites to cause any serious damage to the health of a human.
The house dust mite (sometimes referred to by allergists as HDM) is a cosmopolitan guest in human habitation.
House dust mites are a common cause of asthma and allergic symptoms worldwide. The mite’s gut contains potent digestive enzymes (notably proteases) that persist in their feces and are major inducers of allergic reactions such as wheezing.
The house dust mite survives in all climates, even at high altitude. House dust mites thrive in the indoor environment provided by homes, specifically in bedrooms and kitchens.
Even in dry climates, house dust mites survive and reproduce easily in bedding (especially in pillows), which takes up moisture from body contact. (Colombo Gazette)