The tournament director of the 2012 World Twenty20 to be held in Sri Lanka has denied that there were any security threats to the event. In a statement released by the ICC, tournament director Upekha Nell said, “there is absolutely no security threat to the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, as no files were lost as alleged.”
Two weeks ago, it been reported that documents belonging to World Twenty20 2012 security consultant Shane Dullewa had been stolen from the board’s headquarters. Dullewa was appointed to the post by Sri Lanka Cricket.
On Friday, Nell said, “a comprehensive security plan” was going to be discussed by the organisers for the tournament, which runs from September 18 to October 7. He said the Sri Lankan government and Sri Lanka Cricket “have assured the ICC of providing a similar level of security” as was available during the 2011 World Cup. While there was no reason for concern, security, he said, was a top priority for the ICC and it would “continue to assist and guide the local authorities”.
Following the reports of Dullewa’s allegedly missing documents, he has been relieved of his position and the matter has ended up in litigation. Dullewa, a former secretary of the Sri Lankan rugby football union, had his contract with SLC terminated on May 30. He appealed to a Colombo District Court seeking interim relief and on Wednesday the court issued an order preventing SLC from appointing a replacement for Dullewa.
On Wednesday, the Sri Lankan parliament was told by sports minister Mahindanda Aluthgamage that the SLC staff count had been cut by 60%, and that most of those who had been released were contract workers. The minister said SLC had an employee strength of 251 with 25 permanent employees. (ESPN)