A protest staged by an ex-soldier near the Swiss Embassy in Colombo, has been called off.
A former Army officer launched the protest near the Swiss Embassy in Colombo over claims that a Swiss Embassy employee had been kidnapped and threatened before being released.
Major (Retired) Ajith Prasanna launched a protest fast today demanding that the Swiss Embassy employees be produced before the Police to record a statement over the claims.
However he called off the protest this evening on a request made by the Venerable Athuraliye Rathana Thero.
The Foreign Ministry had said earlier that the Embassy had not presented the alleged victim to be interviewed by the law enforcement officials despite their request to do so.
However, the Foreign Ministry said that based on the information provided by the Swiss Mission on Friday 29 November 2019, an investigation was nevertheless conducted.
The Foreign Ministry had said that there was clear evidence that the sequence of events and timeline of the alleged incident, as formally presented by the Swiss Mission on behalf of the alleged victim to the CID, did not in any way correspond with the actual movements of the alleged victim on that date, as borne out by witness interviews and technical evidence, including Uber records, CCTV footage, telephone records and the GPS data. (Colombo Gazette)