State Intelligence chief Sisira Mendis has resigned from his post with immediate effect.
His resignation comes after he made a statement to the Parliament Select Committee (PSC) on the Easter Sunday attacks.
There were reports earlier that he had been sacked.
However the Defence Ministry said that he had resigned.
Last week Sisira Mendis had told the PSC that the President had failed to hold regular security review meetings to assess the potential threat from extremists.
The President was later said to have been outraged over Mendis being questioned by the PSC and over the session being open to the media.
Yesterday the President had he cannot approve the PSC grilling security officials.
At a meeting with Senior Ranks of Sri Lanka Police the President said the Attorney General had informed him, there are five cases on the 04/21 attacks before the Supreme Court and appointing a PSC at such a time sets a negative impact on the process undertaken by the Supreme Court.
The PSC on the Easter Sunday attacks has been meeting over the past few days.
Among the officials questioned so far are the Defence Secretary, intelligence chief, Police chief and former Defence Secretary.
The President said that he will not allow any current officer to be summoned before the PSC and that his stand has been communicated to the cabinet.
The President also said that he has been informed by the Attorney General that the PSC proceedings will hamper ongoing cases filed on the Easter Sunday attacks. (Colombo Gazette)